CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

April 12, 2009

Celebrating My 1st No!

It’s a mere matter of opinion to say that a “NO” is a failure, and I would like to challenge their logic. I listen to stories of failure and see progress. Are you confused? Then you cannot possibly be an entrepreneur but that's ok don't feel bad many of us don't think that we are or are capable to be entres as I like to call them but we are! Allow me to share a very personal story with you regarding my new start up Designing Women Inc.

I can honestly say I didn't want to tell too many people about a certain competition I had entered because of the whole bad karma thing but since I lost I guess its ok to share this with you! (Smiling)

Anyway a very good friend of mines referred me to this business opportunity through Staten Island Economic Development Corp. a very well established organization. Apparently the women’s division had an entrepreneurial opportunity for start ups and me being me decided to send the application their way! Thanks Marie by the way!

The requirements were simple enough as they only required a business plan, financial projections and a desire from the applicant to succeed.

“That’s I” says the Cat!
I had all of that so I went for it!

As my mentors and close close close friends read this they will recall me making mention of this competition...

After weeks of research and altering of my IDEA I sent in my 35 page application with my fingers crossed and a strong faith in what Designing Women is all about. Women networking and branding better while being eco friendly and elegant all at the same time!

But other than that the application was out the door and I tried my best not to think about it until I found a letter in my box from the committee chair! What was I suppose to think? Me being illogical at times didn’t realize until just this moment that that letter wasn’t a rejection but rather a confirmation of receipt of my application. Whew!
I didn’t tell anyone about it yet again just to keep the good motivation karma thingy going.

But then I received another letter a month later and it was very thin so I knew what the contents were. I remember an old friend who took the GED test and failed always told me if the envelope is thin its bad news unless it says Department of Treasury ha! So I prepared myself for the very words that mean “No you didn’t get it!”

“Hello Zanade Mann”

“Thank you so much for your recent application to the Staten Island Economic Development Corp we regret to inform you that your business plan has not been accepted into our women’s incubator entrepreneur program”

(Sinking feeling)

I sat back and stared at the letter that ultimately said that your idea was not a good fit for our program. I learned from a very wise man that before you question others you must question yourself and I fell upon that saying and thought of every possible reason that my great idea would be rejected…

Numerous thoughts later I came to the conclusion that my idea is different and totally defies the norms of what the old boys club thinks is correct, I have created a company that is totally new for this totally new world that we as Gen Y’s are inheriting! Of course they wouldn’t “get it” because this idea is not heard of.

Designing Women is a company that incorporates designer products with designer services for the new world! It’s a project that aims to socially connect women to others that will create new businesses, put women in their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond in better positions of power and make them feel relaxed while moving up that corporate ladder or while they venture into their very own companies. D.W enhances branding of women who dream to be models, actresses or any form of personal recognition. D.W products will help the world while still giving the designer woman a sense and touch of elegance. So how could I expect them to understand my idea if they are still figuring the entire concept out themselves?

Thankfully, being around so many powerful men and women I have learned that you need rejections, naysayer’s and failures and I totally understand why! It helps you more with your daily grind for greatness, it empowers you on the lowest days because you know that if Gates was rejected or even Jobs was turned down then you still have an active chance to get your IDEA started!

So in short I would like to thank Inc Magazine, Don, Samantha, and the rest of you who believe in more for the new world!

I graciously accept the nomination of my official reject for Designing Women Inc.! No sweat No tears just realization and acceptance and words from my celebrity mentor Oprah Winfrey, a woman who at times had failed or been rejected

“I don't believe in failure. It is not failure if you enjoyed the process.”

Later,

Zanade

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you!

The biggest lesson I've learned in my life is that failure doesn't exist. I personally like to use a quote from my celebrity mentor, Jay-Z.

"But I will not lose. For even in defeat, there's a valuable lesson learned so that evens it up for me!"

Your vision is awesome. Continue to trust in it and trust the process. You're destined for great things, girly!!

Lani Voivod, Co-owner of Epiphanies, Inc. said...

Congrats on your first "No," Zanade. A "no" for an entrepreneur means you're ahead of the field, taking chances, ready to fine-tune, improve, expand, and move forward.

In fact, you reminded me I wrote an article a couple years ago (Congratulations, You Failed!: The Sublime Art of Failing Miserably) that's on one of my alternative blogs I often forget I even have, ha ha. If you want to check that out, here's the link: http://wildquills.com/?p=36

Your instincts are right on, your spirit is visionary and enthusiastic, and you've got the fearless, focused attitude to succeed. Good luck with the evolution of your dream, Zanade. However it morphs and manifests, I wish you strength, moxie, and support from all the right people and places. :)

- @LaniVoivod